Welcome to the expat life!

I'm going on my second international relocation as a wife. We moved to Sao Paulo, Brazil, about 3 years ago and now we're moving to Mexico City, Mexico.
As I know very well relocating is not easy but it is a choice. So, even with all the issues we have I'll try to make the best out of it!

Pages

Monday, April 29, 2013

Super Commuter, Not!

I was recently hired by a couple to assess whether  they should move or opt for the super commute.

It is so funny how the exact same reasons why one decides to move are the same as another decides to commute.

There is no rule to help us make this kind of decision. Relocations always take people out of their comfort zone and no one can predict whether it is going to work out or not in so many different levels. In a sense, it is a leap of faith. Yes, there are many aspects that can make the transition easier but there are no guarantees.

You already know why my family decided not to go to Mexico and how well it worked out for us. The couple I was working with decided to move to Mexico. How could they not?! They are a young couple, she is not working anymore because they are trying to start a family and they are both fluent in spanish. This is a great opportunity for them to live an adventure, mature as a couple - they are going to live away from their family for the first time in their lives - and advance his career. They are now very committed to make things work and to take full advantage of this opportunity. It is also easier to commit to a relocation once you realize it is temporary and that it can - and will - be an amazing move. Knowing it will only be for 2 years helps take some of the pressure off. Not having kids also makes the relocation so much easier. I remember my time before having kids when all we thought about was pack and go have fun on our new adventure. We loved it. 

I wish F & S the best of luck on this new phase of their lives! They are a lovely couple and I'm sure they will be very happy. 

I love working with relocations, it opened a few new doors for me. It's funny because I loved being a corporate lawyer and never thought of doing anything else. Then my husband and I decided on our first relocation and my life was turned upside down. We had fun moving, I became a mom and dedicated my life to my family. Now my kids are older and don't need me that much anymore. We're moving to New York and we'll likely stay there for a while. And I really want  to start working again. Working with all these couples made me realize how much I love working on relationships. I come from a divorced family. Having a happy marriage and a happy family has always been my main goal. I live for it. I am also the confident of must of my friends and the one thy come to when they need relationship advice. So it is only natural that I decided to educate myself more on this subject. I am now on my way to become a Relationship Coach.  Wish me luck and let me know if you need any help.

No comments: