Welcome to the expat life!

I'm going on my second international relocation as a wife. We moved to Sao Paulo, Brazil, about 3 years ago and now we're moving to Mexico City, Mexico.
As I know very well relocating is not easy but it is a choice. So, even with all the issues we have I'll try to make the best out of it!

Pages

Thursday, January 12, 2012

My "Happy Place" in Mexico City

On our second day there, the kids and I decided to take it easy and go to the Santa Fe Mall. They went to Kidzania, or Ciudad de Los Ninos. The driver stayed with them so I could go get my nails done at the Palacio de Hierro. They have a spa there. The spa wan't very nice, I was expecting a nicer place judging by all the nice boutiques they have inside the store, but the manicure did a good job. Palacio de Hierro tries to be the mexican version of Saks 5th Avenue. There is a Saks at the Santa Fe Mall, and that was my "happy place" during my Mexico stay. Just being somewhere familiar with my cup of starbucks latte made my day better. 


The kids had a great time at Kidzania. And having the driver there to translate for them was a good idea. On that day the place wasn't very crowded so they had enough time to do all the activities they wanted. Here are some pictures of Kidzania:





After the mall we went to the supermarket, Superama, to buy some food and water. if you, like me, loves salad, you're in trouble. The vegetables in Mexico City are not the best. During our whole stay I did not have a decent salad. The lettuce was always a little bit brown. So we bought bread, peanut butter, jelly, bagels, cream cheese, yogurt, things that we couldn't go wrong with.


We still did go out to eat. We went to Izote, a modern mexican restaurant in Polanco that was excellent! I had chicken with an almond mole that was delicious, the kids had the chicken without the mole and my husband had ceviche as an appetizer and another fish as his main course and he also enjoyed his meal. The deserts were very good too. It was really nice to end the day in such a high note.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am so confused on how you could possibly say the vegetables are not very good in mexico...
are you the kind of foreigner who just goes to grocery stores and sticks to what youre familiar with (starbucks...)? Did you ever experience the tianguis or other markets? All of the produce is fresh and plentiful!

Cecilia said...

I used to go to grocery stores as well as the farmers market and I was never able to find a decent lettuce. Maybe you and I have different expectations. After living in Brasil and spending a few months in France and Bulgaria, where all vegetables are fantastic, I stand by my statement.