Welcome to the expat life!

I'm going on my second international relocation as a wife. We moved to Sao Paulo, Brazil, about 3 years ago and now we're moving to Mexico City, Mexico.
As I know very well relocating is not easy but it is a choice. So, even with all the issues we have I'll try to make the best out of it!

Pages

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Not Moving???

We got the job offer!! It is now official. We're moving to NY. So I told the kids the decision is now final just to hear my son tell in, in a very matter of fact way, "Mom, I am not moving!" Whaaaat??? Of course, it all happens on a Monday. No Dad in sight.

I asked him why not and he tells me that NY is not that far and Dad can keep on commuting. He likes Florida, his friends and, most of all, his swim team and the fact that it is January and he is still swimming outdoors. He had so many good reasons to stay I just couldn't argue. I really did not know what to say... It is harder for me to convince him to move because I would also love to stay. And he knows it.

A few minutes later I went back to him with a suggestion. Why don't we go to NY soon, during the week so he can visit a few schools and swim clubs in the areas we are considering moving to? This way he can pick his 3 favorite schools, swim clubs and neighborhoods. I told him I would focus on looking for houses in the areas he liked the most. He was pretty happy with the suggestion and immediately agreed to it. I also told him we will be going there a few times before we move. We may even go to a swim meet over there to see if he can make some friends before the move.

Digging a little deeper I found out that one of his issues is that we almost always move during summer. Therefore, when we move all the kids in the neighborhood are traveling or in camps. It is hard for them to make friends during this period of time and both my kids feel very lonely. If we can help them make friends before the move so they don't feel like complete strangers when we do move, it will be wonderful.

Growing up is not easy. Growing up relocating every 2 years must be really hard. But this time, the transition will be as smooth as possible. I'll do my best to make sure of it!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am an expat wife living in Texas for over 5 years. Somedays I feel like I'm back at square one, unsettled, missing home (Ireland), and not wanting to be here anymore. Why do I still feel like this after 5 years? Is it possible to ever truly settle?

Cecilia said...

I feel your pain. We all have ups and downs... I honestly don't believe that we ever truly settle, mostly because we have to live with the possibility of moving again. I can't wait to settle down but I have no idea when this will happen. Good luck!!