Welcome to the expat life!

I'm going on my second international relocation as a wife. We moved to Sao Paulo, Brazil, about 3 years ago and now we're moving to Mexico City, Mexico.
As I know very well relocating is not easy but it is a choice. So, even with all the issues we have I'll try to make the best out of it!

Pages

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Tipping in Mexico and Brazil

Sometimes I have a hard time trying to figure out who, where and when to tip. In my definition tip as giving someone extra money to reward a service provided to me.  But how does it work overseas?


In Sao Paulo we tip almost like in the U.S.. But in Mexico you need to always have coins with you to tip everybody. Even if they are providing a service you don't want and didn't request. In Sao Paulo I learned not to walk around with cash. My debit/credit card was my best friend, in Mexico I need cash because lots of places won't take a debit/credit card. But because of all the robbery concerns I don't feel comfortable carrying cash. But I need to have cash for the tips.


Restaurants in Brazil already include the tip in the bill when they bring it to you. The tip is 10% of the total but you can leave extra money if you wish. I recommend you do so if you go there often. And 10% is the norm for everything in  Brazil. You also tip your manicure, hairstylist and other service providers, I used to tip them 20% because they were really good. If you use a vallet to park your car and don't pay for the service you tip them 2 to 5 Reais. If you have to pay for the parking there is no need to tip. If someone help you bag and carry your groceries to the car you tip them 2 dollars, but you don't tip them if they just put your groceries in the bag. Cab drivers are also tipped a couple of Reais, but remember in Brazil they run the meter and in Mexico they don't. 


In Mexico I feel like I have to tip everyone all the time! Anywhere you go there's someone ready to get some money. I am not a cheap person and I consider myself a good tipper - the 20% kind - but sometimes I feel like I am being taken advantage of in Mexico City. For instance, when I go to the supermarket - the Superama in Santa Fe - I have to tip the guy who stands next to the car in the closed parking lot where I have to either get my ticket stamped or pay for it. Then I have to tip the person who bags my groceries and also there will be a person coming out of nowhere and grabbing my groceries and start loading them in my car. All of them expect 5 pesos. I know that it's not much but it bothers me - I'm ok with the person who bags the groceries but not with tipping the other two. Vallets also expect a tip even if you had to pay for parking. At restaurants service is already included but sometimes they'll ask for more. Hairstylists and all are the same as in Brazil, around 10%. And now the cabs. There is no meter and the prices can vary depending of who's the driver. They usually overcharge foreigners. I still haven't figured out how to tip them. If anyone knows how please tell me. I also need help.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

- Guy who takes care of the car in the supermarket, a couple of pesos. It should be the same person who loads things into your car. If not, only tip the latter.
- Guy who bags your groceries, 5 pesos only if you buy a lot. Depends on the amount of bags. Nothing for just a bag or two.
- No tip required for taxis, unless they help you with luggage, wait for you somewhere, or other things that are not normally part of their work. Also, normal taxis are metered in Mexico City, only the sitio ones are not.

Cecilia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cecilia said...

But none of the cabs I've been to in Mexico City so far - and it's been a lot- used the meter. And thanks for the help with the other tips!! Every time I go ti Superama I have a different person performing a different task and they all show me their hands asking for money. Now I finally know what to do!

Anonymous said...

Hi Cecilia,
The thing is that there are two types of taxis in Mexico City. There are those that you hail from the street ("libre" taxis), which have prices regulated by the city government, are metered and cheaper, but not as safe (although just fine in my opinion, especially during the day). Also, there are "sitio" taxis, which have a predefined base from where you take them (e.g. the airport, shopping malls, supermarkets, metro stations, etc.). Those are unmetered and have predefined rates according to distance. After they take you somewhere, they return to their base location. They are much more expensive (although it depends a lot, since their prices are not regulated by the city government), but they're also safer.

Cecilia said...

Thank you! See, in Sao Paulo you can only catch a cab in a "ponto" - their sitio - and they are always regulated and have the meters. And they are usually safe.

Anonymous said...

Personally, as an American here in Mexico City for almost 3 years now, I still am dumbfounded by the amount of poverty here in the city. I tend to tip a lot, but only to the people who are genuinely providing a service to me... The young boys/girls bagging groceries..They do not have an hourly wage (at least in Superama), Some come from miles just to work in a more affluent area, I tip these kids a lot. At least 10 pesos. If i have 10 bags of groceries, maybe 12-15 pesitos. The guys on the street parking cars..(if it is busy 12-4p.m.) I usually give them 3 pesos, not much more...reason?? WHY DO YOU OWN THE STREET??? I do not get it...Never will either. Otherwise i NEVER tip these people. Tell them you'll get them when you come back then leave. THEY do not OWN the street. It's Illegal (period). The guy that helps you with your groceries, sure, that's kind. The cabs, never. Unless!! You might want to use them as a Self service cab guy...(and they will!!!) then I tip, because he is on my time. ;) Instead of giving money out at the markets (which I soon learned was foolish) I now offer fresh produce as I am buying it for them...they often do not accept it. (scamers) If the kids come up to me on the street, I often will buy them 3 taquitos for 10 pesos. And with my old clothes, I ALWAYS go to the homeless on the street and see if they need something from my bag of stuff that might warm them up. Be smart. Poverty is horrible, but the mothers with "rented" children for the day makes a bad situation even more debilitating. Hope I shed some light on your experience here. Travel a lot! It's a beautiful country.

Cecilia said...

Thank you so much!! Living in Brazil for as long as I have I feel the same way about tipping. If they are not providing a service why should I tip them. And just like you I feel bad for the kids at Superama. But they should be at school not traveling miles to work. Brazil has a law to keep this kids at school and Mexico should too. They need to think about these kids future and the future of their nation. Mexico can't improve if they don't invest in education.
And we do have a couple of trips scheduled. The country is beautiful, the food and people are great! It is a fun place to be in.

Anonymous said...

I 100% agree with you about the kids in school. Even a mediocre education is better than none. We actually fired our maid because we learned that she was bringing her little girl (age 9) into our house and helping her mom out with the cleaning. When we explained that 1. We had some expensive art laying around 2. That I did not want a 9 year old girl watering my 20+houseplants and 3. That she should be in school, the woman was adamant about her daughter helping, that she did not need school. (WOW!) so, we let her go, the whole situation was backwards and started with the mothers decision that her daughter could never be better than a maid. Desafortunadamente.

Cecilia said...

The whole situation just breaks my heart. Poor child... She'll never have the opportunity to even try to live her dreams...