Welcome to the expat life!

I'm going on my second international relocation as a wife. We moved to Sao Paulo, Brazil, about 3 years ago and now we're moving to Mexico City, Mexico.
As I know very well relocating is not easy but it is a choice. So, even with all the issues we have I'll try to make the best out of it!

Pages

Monday, January 17, 2011

Your Container

It's time to pack. So what should we bring?


First you need to figure out what kind of shipment your company is paying for. I know companies that only allow a small air shipment but most companies will pay for a small air shipment - around 2 square meters - and a large container - 40 feet high cube. There are cases where the company will pay for a small container. This has to be negotiated between you and them. I do suggest you to go with the small air shipment and the large container if your family has at least 2 adults and a child.


What to bring can also be influenced by your company policies. I know of some companies who don't allow its employees to ship appliances. Why? I have no idea, but I think it may be because some countries have different voltage and plugs for them and the company just want to avoid problems.


So these are the first things you need to check. Brazil and Mexico have the same voltage then the US, so it is ok to Bring your appliances. And if you're moving to Brazil I would highly recommend you to do so.


Mexico and the US have a trade agreement so basically you can buy there everything you can buy in the US. But Brazil... It is a completely different story. So get ready to load your container. I have a huge list of things I would bring to Brazil if we were to move back there.


The moving company will provide you a list of items that are not allowed in the country you're moving to. There are some items that are not allowed in the container by the shipping company - flammable items. Same for the air shipment.


On the air shipment I suggest you to ship clothes, toys and some food your kids are used to. There may be a discussion about food but you will want your kids to have something to eat on the first weeks that they are familiar with. 


So start packing whatever you think you'll need.


No comments: