Welcome to the expat life!

I'm going on my second international relocation as a wife. We moved to Sao Paulo, Brazil, about 3 years ago and now we're moving to Mexico City, Mexico.
As I know very well relocating is not easy but it is a choice. So, even with all the issues we have I'll try to make the best out of it!

Pages

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Another Mission

This time I'm back from Brazil. I flew to Rio to give a presentation to a small group of expats. We talked about the move, their expectations, how to cope with all the new challenges, how to make things easier for the kids and lots of other issues.

I was shocked to find out how many wives had come across my blog. I never thought anyone would read it and now I'm realizing I've been touching other women just like me, with some of the same struggles and with the same will I have to make things work. 

Next month I'm going to New York to talk to another small group of women, 3 to be precise, who are considering wether or not an expat assignment is the best option for them and their families.

The hard part of my new oib is that at the end of the day the decision to move or not to move is a leap of faith. No one has control over the future. You'll never know beforehand if it's going to work or not. All we can do is to make a decision and hope for the best - and work to be happy while we're at it.

The best thing for me is that I've been meeting some amazing women! Women who just want to do what is best for their families. And I've been meeting some pretty awesome husbands too. Husbands who want to find a balance between career and family.

I'm also so lucky that my brother just moved to Florida and has been helping me with the kids while I travel. My plan is to stop traveling soon and start having small groups come to Florida for seminars. I can't wait to have the first group join me here! And for those who can't travel but still have many questions we can chat via skype.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, I have just relocated from my home in Atlanta, Georgia to Santa Fe, Mexico City. My husband is Mexican and works for HP. I have been here permantly for 1 month and really feel very alone. I am trying to find a group of women who are in the same place as Expat wife. My children are 19 and 21 and are back in GA and I walked away from my career for his. I need to learn the language and just feel lost. Do you have any suggestions for finding English speaking friends and finding a good Language School/group for beginners.

Cecilia said...

Hi!

I really think your best bet to meet new friends will be the International Newcomers Club. There are many people there who knows exactly how you feel and willing to help you settle down, after all, they've all been in your shoes - http://www.newcomers.org.mx/

A good language school is Berlitz - http://www.berlitz.com.mx/index.html

I hope this helps. Best of luck on your move!
C.