Welcome to the expat life!

I'm going on my second international relocation as a wife. We moved to Sao Paulo, Brazil, about 3 years ago and now we're moving to Mexico City, Mexico.
As I know very well relocating is not easy but it is a choice. So, even with all the issues we have I'll try to make the best out of it!

Pages

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Stereotypes of Expat Wifes

Wow! I was reading some expat blogs and I am kind of shocked with what I found. I usually don't read other expat blogs but a friend suggested a couple of sites for me to read, and I did. There are some awesome sites, but there are some that portray a picture that couldn't be further from the truth. Expat wives have all the "fun"???


Really?? Do we?? Let me tell you one thing. I really think that all the blogs that portray expat wives lives as a sex-fest are a whole bunch of bull---- written by people with a big imagination and a complete lack of knowledge!! It's the work of romance writers, not of expats. Yes, I assume there are very few exceptions - I only heard of this stories, never met anyone in the expat community with this kind of life - but it is far from the norm! 


Seriously, what woman, in her normal state of mind, will manage to move to another country, and in the midst of trying to learn the language, get around in the new city, unpack, find new doctors, navigate the supermarket, get everything in the house working will have an affair?? "Mingle with the locals"?? Forget about it!! 


Yes, the vast majority of expat wives does have a sweet social life. Brunches, lunches, luncheons, happy hours, dinners, all different kind of socials and parties. And to be honest, this help keep us sane! This is where we meet new people with the same interest as us, it's where we make friends and it's where we can communicate and be understood. In general, expat wives live a pretty ordinary life. But I do understand why some people glamorize it. But glamorizing it is one thing. Assuming we are a bunch of horny mothers ready to prey on any local is another. We're not!  


The bottom line is: If you lived a nice social life at your home country, you'll do the same as an expat. If you're more reclusive, you will keep living a reclusive life and if you're a slut, you'll still be one overseas.  You won't change who you are because of your location. Also, assuming we have a "secret" life is a huge mistake! Those who do will be very disappointed.






No comments: