Welcome to the expat life!

I'm going on my second international relocation as a wife. We moved to Sao Paulo, Brazil, about 3 years ago and now we're moving to Mexico City, Mexico.
As I know very well relocating is not easy but it is a choice. So, even with all the issues we have I'll try to make the best out of it!

Pages

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Globalization and Adaptation

I've been discussing a bit about globalization and how to adapt to a new culture, recently. Basically there are two point of views. One is to try to completely integrate and assimilate the new culture and the other is to mix two or more cultures as a way to adapt. 


Lots of times HR for multinational companies will have people coming to talk about how people should adapt to different cultures. They preach that you not only need to learn the language but also try to assimilate as much of the new culture as you possibly can. They say: when in Rome, do as the romans do. This way you'll be more effective and get everything done easier.




From a wife point of view, I beg to differ. I believe that we do need to learn the new language - for practical reasons and for having the chance to do so. But I loved learning different languages since I was a child. Learning the language of the country you chose to move to will make your life easier. And even tough I ended up not moving to Mexico I am now fluent in spanish. About assimilating the culture, there are certain aspects that you will have to assimilate and some that you don't. My family likes brazilian and mexican food, but we would still bring lots of maple syrup and cereal back home. We also had to adapt to the time concept - what's considered late here in not considered late in other places. Lunch and dinner times are also different. It is not a good or a bad thing. it's different. And if you want to have a social life you need to adapt. But I would keep some traditions, like celebrating halloween throwing a big party. I trust the dentists in the US better. I will not drink coffee at night. I can adapt and assimilate a bit, but I also need to keep my sense of self.


From a professional point of view, I don't agree when they tell expats to act as locals at work. To me this is a big mistake. First of all, they couldn't find a local to do that specific job. Hint bringing an expat to get the job done. Second, most companies who send expats abroad are american companies. So how about speaking english at the meetings until the expat has had the chance to learn the local language? Many times english is the official language of the companies but many people will refuse to speak english. Third, in places like Sao Paulo, for example, people would work until the wee hours. If you value your family time and  are used to work from 8 to 5, leaving at 6 is ok but leaving at 8 is unthinkable. How about holding more efficient meetings and saving time? Many times people on the local operations forget that they need to report to the home office. That the home office is the entity who allows them to exist and funds them. They don't call the shots, the home office does and also implement the changes. If the locals don't like it they should work for a local company.


As a dear friend once put it, he's not an exchange student. He's an expat who was relocated to get a job done. He needs to understand the country and how they operate so he can fix the problems and get the job the home office wants done, done. If he does things the way they were being done before there would be no need for him to have been sent there in the first place. So take the good out of the country and operation and discard the bad. There's always a lot of good. 

No comments: