Welcome to the expat life!

I'm going on my second international relocation as a wife. We moved to Sao Paulo, Brazil, about 3 years ago and now we're moving to Mexico City, Mexico.
As I know very well relocating is not easy but it is a choice. So, even with all the issues we have I'll try to make the best out of it!

Pages

Monday, February 18, 2013

Worst or Best Thing Ever??

As we are getting ready to move again I'm starting to miss the Super Commuter life. When we decided to live as super commuters we didn't have much time to think it thru but I had enough time to think of all that could go wrong. 

I only knew one couple here in FL and they travel a lot. So if I had a serious emergency I might not have had anyone to help me out. Luckily, we had no serious emergency. I only had to rush to the hospital once because my daughter cut her finger and needed 10 stitches - I was able to handle it by myself - just barely.

What if my husband couldn't come home every weekend? He was more than constant with his traveling. Yes, he got tired but being able to work from home on Fridays and pick-up the kids from school made it all worth it for him. He only stayed there for 2 weekends. During a 2 1/2 year frame this is not bad. One time it was for work and another because the weather here was so bad I asked him not to fly. - it was a good idea because the airport closed before his normal flight landed and all the flights from Mexico landed in Dallas. He says the worse part of all this traveling was going thru passport control and all the other long lines at both airports. Flying to NY now is a breeze.

I also thought he could get a lover over there. No, he is not that kind of guy, but my experience is that they never are, until they do it. He did not. He kept busy at work and taking care of himself. He had to get his groceries and do his laundry. He had people cleaning his apartment and doing his dishes everyday. He worked out every morning. He studied a lot. The one thing he didn't do? He didn't go out with co-workers often. He was on a different schedule than everybody else. Mexicans have lunch around 2 pm. My american husband wakes up at 5:30 am so he needs his lunch at noon. So he was always at the cafeteria by himself. Drinks after work? Almost never. A few times he did go out for drinks but not often at all. This made me feel good, I can't deny it.

Not having enough time together was another concern. We didn't have quantity but we did have quality. We made the best of what we had. We have an amazing baby-sitter who comes in once a week so we can have a date. We went out to many different restaurants and some times we would just bring a picnic basket to the beach and enjoy the sunset. We really made the best of our time together. And he was also really involved in our kids lives. On Fridays he would always drive them to school, pick them up and take them to swim practice. He would take the kids to breakfast on Saturdays mornings and this became "their thing". Our family life has never been better.

So do I recommend the Super Commute? Absolutely! I thought it would be a disaster but it ended up being the best thing ever to us! When people ask me if they should do it I say yes, you should. You, your husband and your kids need to be committed to make it work. It wasn't easy at all but it was great. We will look back at it in the future and miss it a lot.

No comments: