Welcome to the expat life!

I'm going on my second international relocation as a wife. We moved to Sao Paulo, Brazil, about 3 years ago and now we're moving to Mexico City, Mexico.
As I know very well relocating is not easy but it is a choice. So, even with all the issues we have I'll try to make the best out of it!

Pages

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Aging Pets and Relocation

This is a very sensitive subject to me. My pets are getting old. Recently I lost 2 of my cats. It has been very tough on us. We're all extremely sad and trying to cope with our losses. We feel very lucky we are here in the U.S. and we had enough help from our vets during this very difficult times. Having old pets is a huge reason for us not to consider any international relocation for a while. My dog is now 14 and my remaining cat is 12. How can anyone consider flying them in cargo?? 

We're flying my cat and the kids to New York as the cat can fly in cabin. We'll leave them with my sister-in-law for a week as we fly back to Florida and drive our dog to NY. He loves car rides and we already found dog friendly hotels to stay along the way. We will take our time to get to NY and do as much driving per day as our "old man" can handle. His well being is our main concern.

And what to do when they die? Here in the U.S. we had some options. I cremated both of my cats and I want their ashes to be with me when I get cremated. We could have chosen to bury them as well, but we wanted to have them with us. If you're overseas and disaster strikes, what are your options?

Every country has its own rules and you should discuss it with your vet when you have a chance. I know it is not easy to find a crematory in Brazil. And if I remember correctly there is only one pet cemetery in Sao Paulo. I didn't do my research while I was in Mexico City. I asked some friends who live in Mexico and they didn't have an answer either. So ask your new vet at your new country. Trust me, you will be too upset to ask any question when tragedy strikes. So prepare yourself as best as you can. When I come to think about it, there is just no way to prepare. It is way too painful to lose someone who always gave you unconditional love and shared your life with you. 

God bless our amazing pets.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing information on relocation..
Movers and Packers in hyderabad