Welcome to the expat life!

I'm going on my second international relocation as a wife. We moved to Sao Paulo, Brazil, about 3 years ago and now we're moving to Mexico City, Mexico.
As I know very well relocating is not easy but it is a choice. So, even with all the issues we have I'll try to make the best out of it!

Pages

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Checklist

I almost have the pets situation figured out!!
In two days we will have an answer. On the mean time I need to get all the permits for my 4 legged baby to leave Brazil and enter Mexico. So it's one problem solved and one more to go...
Next on the list:
  • Put our apartment in Brazil for rent;
  • Sell our car;
  • Rent the house in Mexico;
  • Hire a driver in Mexico;
  • Schedule an interview with the schools in Mexico.
So, today I was contacting realtors to rent our apartment. I also here in Brazil we need more than one realtor. They don't work with an unified listing. You need to list your apartment or house with lots of brokers if you want it to rent quickly. You will also need to use different brokers if your looking to rent something.
To sell the car I'm talking to people at my husband's company, advertising on the school newspaper and in our development.
And now the fun part: Renting the new house!
Well, at least I have an idea of where I want to live in Mexico. I talked to some friends who lived there and got some ideas. On my "look-and-see" trip I also visited some nice houses in gated neighborhoods where some other expats live. Now it is time to make a decision.
Hiring the driver is a necessity. I don't know my way around the city and traffic there is beyond crazy. And coming from someone who lives in Sao Paulo, that says a lot!
The interview will be interesting because I can not speak spanish! I'll need help to translate everything. maybe I'll get lucky and one of the candidates will be able to speak some english.
I will only interview people who have been recommended by someone trustworthy - co-workers, friends, Newcomers' Club, school, etc... I was advised against hiring someone thru an agency or without recommendations.
And time for the kids to visit the schools. I really hope they like it and meet some nice kids. They will have to take a test and I hope they do well. Wish us luck!

No comments: