Welcome to the expat life!

I'm going on my second international relocation as a wife. We moved to Sao Paulo, Brazil, about 3 years ago and now we're moving to Mexico City, Mexico.
As I know very well relocating is not easy but it is a choice. So, even with all the issues we have I'll try to make the best out of it!

Pages

Saturday, October 9, 2010

My Dog is flying with me!

Yesterday was a very stressful day. I had to wait until 8 O'clock at night for the confirmation from the airline for my dog to fly in-cabin. Thank you American Airlines!! They were supposed to have an answer by 5 p.m. so the wait was nerve wrecking. But we got the special permit and we couldn't be happier!
So what's next? Getting all the documents ready for The dog to leave Brazil and enter Mexico without more problems.
So, from Brazil I'll need:
  • International Health Certificate (CZI) issued 3 days before traveling;
  • A certificate of vaccination against rabies;
  • A certificate issued by the pet veterinary stating that the dog is in good health within 7 days from traveling.
And the documents required for him to enter Mexico are:
  • A certificate issued by the pet veterinary stating that the dog is in good health within 7 days from traveling;
  • Proof of vaccines against rabies and distemper administered at least 15 days before the pet's arrival.
I have all the documents thanks to the moving company and my wonderful vet who made sure everything was done right. The CZI is issued at the airport and the moving company had to send a person there to take care of it. It takes a whole day for this document to be ready. In two months I'll have to go thru all this again to take the cats to Mexico with me.
Now I have to worry about the kids. My husband is already working in Mexico so I'll be traveling with our kids by myself. But leaving Brazil with the kids by myself is not an easy task.
Brazilian Laws don't allow a person to board a plane with minors without a notarized letter from both parents/legal guardians of this children. So I will need a letter from my husband authorizing me to take the kids out of the country. Luckily we were aware of it and he already sent me this letter. But it took a week for the consulate to notarize the letter. He had to overnight it. But overnighting in Mexico means it takes 3 days to get here. Just saying...
So we're good to go! Wish us luck!

No comments: