Welcome to the expat life!

I'm going on my second international relocation as a wife. We moved to Sao Paulo, Brazil, about 3 years ago and now we're moving to Mexico City, Mexico.
As I know very well relocating is not easy but it is a choice. So, even with all the issues we have I'll try to make the best out of it!

Pages

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Costumer Service Comparison

It's funny, but one of the first things we complain about when we move to Latin America is the poor costumer service. But I keep on wondering: What happened to costumer service in the U.S.??


First it was Comcast. Then it was the alarm company and the propane company not showing up at the scheduled time. And now it is the freaking sleep number bed! We just bought one and it came without the remote control. Yes, what was I thinking when I bought a bed that need a remote control in the first place, right? Then, after a week, they shipped the wrong remote control. And now, it will take at least another week until I get the remote. And they don't accept returns! What a nightmare! Funny thing is that there was another couple at the store complaining they only received half their bed when the crew came to deliver it. And what do you do with half a bed?? We thought it was very expensive, but we figured it would be a good thing to have a nice new bed to sleep on for the next 10/15 years. Huge mistake!


When we move to another country we expect that the costumer service won't be as good as in the US. True, the costumer service in Mexico has been bad. People are always late or missing appointments, but you know it is part of the culture. In Brazil it was a little bit better, but not that much. But here in the US? I did not expect it when I came back. And it's been one thing after another. They are making the brazilian costumer service look good, and trust me, this is not an easy task, as some of the people living in Brazil can confirm. And I never taught I would say such a thing.


So what happened here? Is it only with me? Murphy's law? Effect from the recession? I think this is one case where the grass really is greener on the other side. Why can't the companies just get their act together? When you're selling a product or a service you're expected to know what you're doing. Specially when you're charging big bucks for it.


 So friends living abroad, rejoice! It can't be this bad...

No comments: