Welcome to the expat life!

I'm going on my second international relocation as a wife. We moved to Sao Paulo, Brazil, about 3 years ago and now we're moving to Mexico City, Mexico.
As I know very well relocating is not easy but it is a choice. So, even with all the issues we have I'll try to make the best out of it!

Pages

Thursday, June 9, 2011

New Lives

We rented our apartment to a nice american family. This will be their first relocation and they're really excited about the move. But for some reason I can not stop bugging them. I e-mail her everyday with a list of things she should put on her container. Some times I can't help but wonder: When is she going to tell me to stop?


The list is long. It goes from baby diapers and tampons all the way up to food. Then I have a list of doctors and dentists. A good, reliable driver. Restaurants nearby. The pizza delivery place. Hairstylist. Manicure.... The list is long.


I also sent her the phone number of a few friends who live in the same gated community who can help her out.


In a way I feel like I am giving her all the information I wish I had before I moved. Things that can make her life easier. And friends she can rely on. All expats, who understand what she'll be going thru.


As for me, I am having a hard time making friends. I have been very reclusive. And usually I am very outgoing. One of my friends told me that it is because I am not over having had to say goodbye to most of my friends. And I think she's right. On top of that there's the perspective of a new assignment. So why bother make new friends if I am going to have to say goodbye to them soon, right? I've been staying in touch with my old friends though. We had a few friends visiting us already and starting Sunday I'll have guests every week until the end of July. The kids couldn't be more excited. I'll have my work cut out for me and I'll have to take daily trips to the mall, but I am very happy. And hopefully, by the time they leave I'll be ready to make some new friends. I need to change my mind set and realize that with the new friends, just like with the old ones it won't be goodbye, it will be an "auf wiedersehen".

No comments: