Welcome to the expat life!

I'm going on my second international relocation as a wife. We moved to Sao Paulo, Brazil, about 3 years ago and now we're moving to Mexico City, Mexico.
As I know very well relocating is not easy but it is a choice. So, even with all the issues we have I'll try to make the best out of it!

Pages

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Traffic and the Cities

This week I have a couple of great friends from New Zealand visiting. They are moving back home  after their term in Brazil. As we were driving around we couldn't help and compare the traffic between here, Sao Paulo, Mexico City and Auckland. And what a difference. Where would you guess the best place to drive is?


According to my friends, and I have to agree, Florida is the best place to drive. Let's start with  number of lanes on the roads and the way the roads were planned. Only in America. In Auckland as here in Florida, the roads are well kept. No potholes. In Auckland, if they had craters the same size of the ones they have in Mexico City and Sao Paulo people would sue the government and win. There are some aggressive drivers there. The reason is that people are not used to heavy traffic and not tolerant of people causing it. In Florida there's the occasional person trying to cut the lane, but not that many. So Auckland comes in number two.


Now it is very hard to make a call for number 3 and 4, so I have to call it a tie. On one side we have small motorcycles everywhere who thing they own the roads and aggressive drivers. But if you put your blinkers on people will let you turn or switch lanes. This is Sao Paulo For you. In Mexico you have aggressive driver who will be fighting you tooth and nail all the time and who disregard every traffic rule there is.   


We even brought New York in the conversation. I must admit that New York traffic is mild compared to Mexico City and Sao Paulo. And I think this pretty much rest my case. I would love to know your opinion on this matter.

2 comments:

Megan said...

Hi, I found your blog because I am married to a Brit, moved to England last year for him (HATED my experience in England for a multitude of reasons), and am now living in Georgia and trying to figure out how to make my life and marriage better for our return to the UK next year. Anyway, I had a good laugh at your mention of Florida drivers. They are horrible! In Georgia, I have had so many near accidents because of Florida drivers, I just try to stay away from them as far as possible. They either drive too aggressively, too slowly, or block traffic. Anyway, I really like your blog a lot! Take care!

Cecilia said...

Thank you so much for your comment. The sad thing is that after living in Brazil and traveling constantly to Mexico the drivers in Florida don't seem that bad. : )
I really hope you can have a better time in the UK next year. I have a friend who moved there - after living in Brazil and Italy - and loves it! She went to the newcomers meetings to make friends and met some pretty cool gals. Good luck!