Welcome to the expat life!

I'm going on my second international relocation as a wife. We moved to Sao Paulo, Brazil, about 3 years ago and now we're moving to Mexico City, Mexico.
As I know very well relocating is not easy but it is a choice. So, even with all the issues we have I'll try to make the best out of it!

Pages

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Cooking Overseas

This has been a challenge. Adapt to new ingredients. I am a bad cook. I've been spoiled by years of having a housekeeper. I know how to cook a few dishes and I cook them well, but that's it. My friends joke that if a dish has more than 4 ingredients I won't be able to prepare. So what if the 4 ingredients are not what I'm used to?


As I said before the food in the supermarket is different. In Brazil lots of  food had heavy cream and it was sold in cans or in bottles. In mexico there are lots of different vegetables. But how do I prepare them? I want to learn how to be a better cook. I want to be able to cook with local ingredients. And cook by myself. I don't want the housekeeper to prepare every meal. And I also don't want to go to restaurants all the time.


We've been living between the U.S. and Mexico City. We're doing the super commute. This makes my life easy because I can bring food on my suitcase. I bring canned pumpkin to Mexico and I bring hot pepper back to the U.S.


And I was thinking about this topic because I just saw that I almost have one thousand hits on the blog. It may not seem as much to some, but to me it is something that I've never dreamed of. I was so surprise when I got my first reader! And my first comment! I love the comments, by the way. It was so nice to see that people who could relate to me. I am not alone struggling to do the best for my family while traveling around the Americas. I started the blog as a way to vent and to maybe help other people facing the same issues I was. I really hope reading it was helpful to you.


And to me the best way to celebrate is with food. So for the person who sends me the best and easiest recipe from your country - it doesn't need to have only four ingredients but it may contain ingredients that are easy to find around the world and be easy to prepare - I'll send my favorite treat. Maple syrup and pancake mix from Williams Sonoma. So let's get cooking.

No comments: