Welcome to the expat life!

I'm going on my second international relocation as a wife. We moved to Sao Paulo, Brazil, about 3 years ago and now we're moving to Mexico City, Mexico.
As I know very well relocating is not easy but it is a choice. So, even with all the issues we have I'll try to make the best out of it!

Pages

Friday, February 11, 2011

From The Expat Wife’s Husband


Hi. This is the husband. I thought it would be interesting giving my side of the story, specifically the ups and downs of an international job.

Why go international?

I went international mostly for the adventure. As a college grad I didn’t exactly pursue the most exhilarating life for myself. But, I always had a taste for a little adventure and a little travel. It was a pleasant surprise to find out that international travel and an international post are possible while still taking advantage of the investment I had put in with my education. You can go international without throwing away everything you worked for (like joining the Peace Corp or something).

I went international when I was single and life was simple. I didn’t have too many pre-conceptions and was basically taking whatever the assignment would offer. A nice consequence has been the pay and career advancement. If you can go international and make it work from both sides (local and home office) then you have created some value for yourself with your company and in the market.

Another advantage is my mind is that when you go international you are special. It will be likely that you will be the only, or at least one of the very few, foreigners in your office. The rules will be different for you and you can be more of an individual than staying in your home country. “What … I’m not wearing any shoes today? Well that’s just how we do it where I come from.” Done and done. You can be who you want to be.

The secretaries. Internationally you will get a secretary who’s main goal is to make your life easier. They protect you from jerks, separate you from people you don’t want to see, and will generally do whatever it takes to help you accomplish your goals. Secretaries in the US, if you’re lucky enough to get one, care only about themselves. Believe me, I’ve had 3 international secretaries now that are 1,000 times better than anything you’ll find in the states.

The women. Well, you know …

Downisdes

Obviously, going international means being separated from your family and friends, which is a downside but the how much of a downside varies widely. For me, it didn’t really change things that much. I still got to see my relatives over the holidays and could communicate as much as I wanted via phone, e-mail whatever. Not that much different than being in the US for me!

But, for some it could represent a major change and maybe the international life isn’t the best choice for them.

There is also the cultural side. Going international can be somewhat of a change if you go to another country that speaks the same language but has different food, sports, entertainment, senses of humor etc… Or, going international can be roughly equivalent to going to a different planet if you go somewhere with a completely different language, alphabet, racial mix, government system etc…

I chose something in-between and was actually very surprised how much of my home country’s culture I was able to retain. Again, I didn’t join the Peace Corp or become a foreign exchange student – I went international to have an adventure but not completely redefine myself. Luckily, the technology today allows for a lot of local culture to be accessed in foreign countries. The #1 for me being podcasts: I can follow what I want o follow from home and handle traffic at the same time. They have been great. In addition, I can get a lot of local sports live via TV thru the internet. It’s another big plus to occasionally be able to catch a game in your native language, and I even enjoy the local commercials. It’s a breath of fresh air after living in a different world for most of the time. I imagine you could also take great advantage of facebook, twitter, texting and the like as well. I haven’t done much of this personally because I get enough of the computer at work – the last thing I’m looking for outside of work is more computer time – with the exception of this blog  of course …

But, as an expat you will miss the coffee machine conversation about the game, latest celeb scandal or whatever. That’s a definite downside and one of the costs of going international. If you go international, you need to be able to weather some loneliness. While I am no exception, I came to realize as well that life moves on whether you go international or not, and your past is your past. You will meet new people and gradually move on with your own life either way.
  
So, I think you can tell that I am happy with my decision. I view going international and just another one of several possible paths I could have taken. I met a great wife, had great kids and do pretty well financially. Can’t complain at all.

No comments: