Welcome to the expat life!

I'm going on my second international relocation as a wife. We moved to Sao Paulo, Brazil, about 3 years ago and now we're moving to Mexico City, Mexico.
As I know very well relocating is not easy but it is a choice. So, even with all the issues we have I'll try to make the best out of it!

Pages

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Cost of Living

Compared to where?


If I am going to a restaurant Mexico City is cheaper than the US, but if I am buying a car it is more expensive. Sao Paulo is still more expensive then both. For almost everything!


The cars in Mexico city cost about 25% more then they cost in the US, from what I've seen so far. In Brazil  cars cost at least double than what they cost in the US. But if you're going to armor your car it will cost you  50 thousand dollars in Mexico and 25 thousand dollars in Brazil, but as I said before, the level of armoring is different in the 2 countries. Some companies will buy you the armored car. Ask them!


Rent is also expensive in Mexico City. Most houses have 3 bedrooms and the average rent in Polancos, Reforma, Santa Fe, Interlomas and Bosques de Las Lomas is 6 thousand dollars. And this will get you a very nice house. It is really hard to find a house with four bedrooms.


Restaurants are cheaper and groceries are cheaper too. You will find very nice restaurants with food from all over the world at a very reasonable price. A meal for 2 adults and 2 kids with wine at a very nice restaurant in Polancos costed 75 dollars. Not bad! In Sao Paulo the same meal would have costed 200 dollars. So goodbye cost of living adjustment!


The electronics are also more expensive then in the US.


I can not compare the taxi fares. In Sao Paulo, just like in New York, there is a meter and you know exactly how much you should pay. In Mexico City you need to negotiate with the driver. And do not hail a cab on the street, it is very dangerous.


Clothes, from american brands, are also a bit more expensive in Mexico city, but at least you will find american brands.


I haven't gone to a hair salon there so I still don't know how the prices will compare. I'll let you know later.


I also still don't know how the utilities compare but I'll figure it out soon. I've asked the relocation company for this costs many, many times but I can not get an answer out of them. So I am a little concerned.


Oh, and last but not least, housekeeper and driver. I'll honestly feel embarrassed  to pay them so little. I used to pay the cleaning lady in the US 100 dollars to clean my house once a week, and she did it in 3 hours. Here the salary is 200 dollars for the whole month. Yeah, the whole month, 6 days a week!! Usually they are live-ins so you cover the cost of food, housing, etc, but still... The driver gets paid more, 450 dollars. He works from 6 a.m. until around 8 p.m....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What was it in Brazil--and thank you for all your comments!!!

Cecilia said...

It was a great experience to live in Brazil. As you can tell we had our ups and downs but it was a very positive move for the whole family.
And Brazil is definitely way more expensive than the US and then Mexico City. Try to negotiate a cost of living adjustment with your company.