Welcome to the expat life!

I'm going on my second international relocation as a wife. We moved to Sao Paulo, Brazil, about 3 years ago and now we're moving to Mexico City, Mexico.
As I know very well relocating is not easy but it is a choice. So, even with all the issues we have I'll try to make the best out of it!

Pages

Monday, November 22, 2010

Healthcare. What will I get?!

We all know it is very easy to buy medicine in Mexico without a prescription, but what is their healthcare like? I really don't know!


When we moved from the US to Brazil we knew we had access to the some of the best doctors and hospitals in the world. Hard to believe? Yes, Brazil is a third world country but when it comes to  medical care it is considered one of the best. This, of course, if you have a good coverage from your insurance company.


Most expats do get the best coverage from the best insures so we have access to Albert Eintein Hospital, Hospital do Coracao and Hospital Sirio e Libanes. Theses hospitals are just as good as Cedars Sinai, Johns Hopkins Hospitals or the Mayo Clinic. In fact most of the Brazilian doctors from the hospitals above do some training at the american hospitals I just mentioned. And yes, most doctors do speak english. And you will find good doctors by asking your friends and co-workers.


The doctors in Brazil do take their time during your consultation. The average consultation is 45 minutes long. They examine you from head to toe and are not afraid to ask for some exams - like ultra-sound, MRI, blood test - if they think it is necessary. And the insurance companies have to pay for them. It's the law. If you are pregnant here you will have a 3D ultra-sound every time you visit your doctor's office. They have all the equipment there. A lot different then what I had in the US. We do have to pay for all the visits and it is expensive - around 200 dollars - but the insurance company will reimburse us.


While I was in Mexico City I did take a tour at one of their top hospitals, ABC. I wasn't particulary impressed by it. My mexican friends - for now I only have about 10 - get their medical treatment done in the US because they work for multinationals and have health insurance with international coverage. They all believe that american hospitals and doctors are much better. But there are good and bad doctors everywhere. I just hope I am lucky enough to find good doctors in Mexico.

No comments: