Welcome to the expat life!

I'm going on my second international relocation as a wife. We moved to Sao Paulo, Brazil, about 3 years ago and now we're moving to Mexico City, Mexico.
As I know very well relocating is not easy but it is a choice. So, even with all the issues we have I'll try to make the best out of it!

Pages

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Transition For The Kids

You must be wondering how are the kids during this time. I know I've been talking a lot about the pets...


The kids are very excited!! They've been missing their dad - they haven't seeing him in 5 weeks - but they are looking forward to Mexico City. They had a hard time adjusting to Brazil, but now that they've done it before they think they are ready to do it again.


Their main concern is the school. They ask me all the time "are we going to an american school, mommy"? And since the answer is yes they are ok with it. They also want to know if there will be other expats on the development we are moving to. So we are looking for a house on places where there is an expat community. 


Of course I don't complain - too much - in front of them. Sometimes I can't help myself.  But most of the time I talk to them about how good this move will be for the whole family. And how much closer we're getting to the US. They always tell me they want to move back to the US some day. And we do too. So it's all good!


I have a don't ask, don't tell policy, also. If they don't ask me questions about the move, I don't bring up the subject. My experience with them is that when they want to know something they'll ask. But sometimes I need to talk to them about certain things.


Last Sunday I took them out to a nice restaurant for lunch. As we were there I put a calendar over the table and we discussed the dates of the move. I told them when the movers are going to come, when dad is arriving, when we're moving to the hotel, when the last day of school is and when we will be arriving in Mexico. Putting it there, in front of them, made them feel more at ease. 


Keeping our kids happy is our main goal. And living overseas is a great adventure for them. And also an opportunity for learning and growth. If they are happy, we're happy. And this is all that matters.

No comments: