Welcome to the expat life!

I'm going on my second international relocation as a wife. We moved to Sao Paulo, Brazil, about 3 years ago and now we're moving to Mexico City, Mexico.
As I know very well relocating is not easy but it is a choice. So, even with all the issues we have I'll try to make the best out of it!

Pages

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Taking the Kids and the Cats to Mexico

It's been a couple of weeks since my last post and the reason is that nothing relevant happened during this time. Except for more planning.


I'm working on getting things ready here in Brazil and so far I have the moving scheduled and I'm trying to buy the plane tickets. Remember I have to take 3 cats along with me!! In-cabin. We're waiting for the airlines confirmation on this issue.


My silly husband just wanted me to take care of the whole move and he would just come to Brazil one day and leave to Mexico the next day with a child and a pet. This is not happening! He needs to come one week before the move to help out with the kids, the packing and all the other things that come up when one is moving to another country. So, in order for him to come we had to find a place for my dog to stay at while my husband is traveling. And by this time you already know me and know that the average kennel just will not make the cut. My husband's assistant asked around and found a place for my 4 legged baby to stay. There is a hosting facility where a couple take pets in for long stays. The pets have a big yard to play in and they sleep in the office rather than in cages. Not the ideal situation but my husband will visit the place and let me know of his impressions. Here in Sao Paulo my baby stays with a lovely lady called Christiana. She has a small farm where the dogs can run around free. She cares for them as a grandmother. They can sleep in bed with her if they want to. She also adds carrots to their meals and gives them lots of love... She's the best!


Back to the cats, I found out that I am not allowed to bring more than 2 pets at once to Mexico. And also most airlines only allow 2 pets per cabin. So my husband, one cat and one of the kids are flying one day and I am flying the next day with one child and two cats.


There are a few reasons why the cats have to fly in-cabin with us:
1) The age - they are all around 10 years old;
2) One of them has heart murmur;
3) The others are persian cats. Persian cats are just like dogs with short noses. They have difficulties controlling their body temperature during flights. All airlines have some kind of ban on short-nosed breeds. I am not a vet so I don't know the exact reasons why. But I love my pets and I am not willing to take any chances!!


Oh, and we're still homeless in Mexico. There is no solution for the house yet. The landlords won't provide a receipt and our employer requires one. So we'll see how this goes...




P.S. - I just got an e-mail from Delta Airlines confirming that the cats can fly in-cabin with us. We will have to fly to Atlanta and then Mexico City. But my kitties will be safe and sound! Thank you, Delta!!

No comments: