Welcome to the expat life!

I'm going on my second international relocation as a wife. We moved to Sao Paulo, Brazil, about 3 years ago and now we're moving to Mexico City, Mexico.
As I know very well relocating is not easy but it is a choice. So, even with all the issues we have I'll try to make the best out of it!

Pages

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Day 2 of the Move

OMG!!!


I am exhausted, my feet are swollen, my back is hurting... Sound familiar?


I am doing this move almost all by myself. There are the movers, unloading the container and opening boxes. Yesterday I had the cleaning people help me out doing the dishes before they could be put away today, but that was it. Today I had a professional organizer, Catherine, who help me organize the kitchen and one bathroom. She'll be back next week to help me with the rest. And tomorrow the cleaning people - a couple - will be back to do some laundry. I will need clean sheets and towels.


We still need to unpack 30% of the boxes. And then put things away. And figure out where the furniture will be placed. And assemble it. Hang the mirrors and pictures. Take the air shipment from our temporary house and bring it to our home. Organize the closets... I get tired just thinking about it. 


It was funny to see how impressed the movers were with my knowledge about moves. I had a system they taught was very efficient. Post it notes everywhere, marking the boxes, getting the right parts together. I've done it enough times to know exactly what to do.


And have I told you my husband is not around? He had some meetings in New York that could not be cancelled. No, he did not do it on purpose.  And I can't complain. I couldn't be happier. We agreed that this is going to be our home no matter what. We will keep this as a home base. Whether we decide to move to Mexico in July, if we find a good school for the kids or decide to take another international position in a few years. I must admit that I would be happy to settle down and stay right here forever.

No comments: