Welcome to the expat life!

I'm going on my second international relocation as a wife. We moved to Sao Paulo, Brazil, about 3 years ago and now we're moving to Mexico City, Mexico.
As I know very well relocating is not easy but it is a choice. So, even with all the issues we have I'll try to make the best out of it!

Pages

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Gay Relocation

We're still struggling with gay rights here in the US. Some states recognize gay marriage and some don't. Some companies are more acceptable than others, specially when we talk about relocation. So what can you expect if you're moving to Mexico or Brazil?


Let me start with Mexico. It is funny, but I haven't seem that many open gays in Mexico City. There's one in my husband's company, but still in the closet afraid that coming out here will ruin his reputation. It doesn't seem like mexicans are very accepting of gays. I find it very contradictory because same-sex marriages and civil unions can be performed in Mexico City. Mexico has the "macho" culture and in my opinion this is why it is so hard for people to be open there.


Now, Brazil. It is just the opposite of Mexico. People are not afraid to come out of the closet and be openly gay. There is not much prejudice at all. But the government won't legalize gay marriage. The Supreme Court will accept civil unions but not marriage. A little bit hypocrite, if you ask me. But if one partner is sick the other does have the right to stay at the hospital and have rights to inheritance. The right to pension is still being discussed.  At most company's function the partner will be welcome. The "macho" culture is still big in  a few companies, but not in most companies.


I hope the day when everyone will be treated equally is not far from us. We're all equal and should have the same rights, no matter what country we live in.


UPDATE:
Last week the Brazilian Supreme Court started recognizing same-sex civil unions. What a great step towards equality for all. Way to go, Brazil!


UPDATE 2:
As of this Monday, The Brazilian Supreme Court started granting Permanent Resident Visas to the same sex partner of a brazilian citizen. Another step!

No comments: